About Expert Tuition
We believe that every child has the potential to excel academically. Our expert private tuition provides a powerful support structure that enables students of all ages to achieve their academic objectives. And secure the successful results they deserve.
Private tuition – whether in-person or online – helps students to fully understand their chosen subjects. Private tuition helps students to structure and present their knowledge cleanly and clearly to achieve top grades. And most importantly, private tuition helps students to develop the personal and academic confidence and resilience required to succeed. Not just in the exam room, but in life.
Established in 2012, our tutors have helped students succeed in public examinations, gain entry to prestigious schools and universities, and ultimately embark on successful careers.
Parents Choose Us Because…
Parents tell us they choose Expert Tuition for four main reasons:
- Our unwavering commitment to bringing out your child’s full academic potential by carefully matching them based on their specific needs.
- The quality of our tutors and matching process. Every tutor on our books would have been interviewed rigorously to ensure that they meet our very high standards. Also, having witnessed them teaching, we are in a very strong position to match them to student’s that we know would work best with their style
- The responsibility we place upon our tutors: we expect our tutors to teach material to students and to cover every topic in depth to maximise their chances of succeeding in their public exams.
- Our emphasis on utilising private tuition to build a student’s self-confidence. We firmly believe that the most unique aspect of tuition is that, when done properly, it can help to raise students’ expectations of themselves and give them the confidence to overcome any obstacle they face – both academic and non-academic.
Who is Tuition For?
A common misconception is that tuition is exclusively for students who have fallen behind or are struggling at school. The students we support and have helped excel are from across the academic spectrum, but irrespective of their starting base, we make it our business to help them fulfil their true potential. So who is tuition for? In a nutshell: everyone.
In particular, private tuition is strongly recommended for the following:
- Preparing for public exams – we prepare that our tutors teach the material to students and cover every inch of the syllabus. Given how outstanding our tutors are, we want to make sure that students go into each exam in the best shape possible, both in terms of their content knowledge, but, as importantly, in respect to their exam technique.
- Developing academic confidence and resilience – the most unique feature of private tuition is that it is an incredible mechanism to build a students confidence. Our heavy focus on the psychology of tuition ensures that our tutors are both consciously and sub-consciously boosting the student’s academic confidence.
- Catching up – it is inevitable that some students are left behind through the schooling system, particularly with the ratio of teacher to students becoming more and more unmanageable. Our tutors can help plug any gaps in knowledge and make sure students don’t feel left behind.
- Stretching gifted students – for many students who have a passion for a certain subject, the ability to engage in a detailed discussion with an expert and to be challenged academically is intellectually stimulating and helps to nourish that interest. Even with gifted students, the competition is so fierce that is essential that they can translate their excellent knowledge to the best grades, and so, being taught exam technique is of vital importance.
- Re-aligning academic expectations – far too often, students are told that they are incapable of achieving something or that they should be more realistic. Our experiences suggest that, the UK academic process is such that, irrespective of the starting level, if students are given the right support and apply themselves, there is no limit to how successful they can be. It is not uncommon for students to dramatically transform their grades within a year and surpass all expectations. We have seen it so often that we know it to be true. Our tutors are trained to teach and inspire so that they can raise their student’s academic expectations. As the famous saying goes: “it is better to aim high and miss than to aim low and hit”
- Home Schooling – we support students, both domestically and abroad, who would like to be home schooled. For further details, please click here.
How We Select Our Tutors
We take great care to make sure that only outstanding tutors who share our vision and mantra are taken on. In our experience, an impressive CV does not always translate into an excellent tutor and so, we have put together a rigorous process so that every tutor on our books is of the highest standard.
Once tutors submit their applications, our recruiters assess their suitability based on academic performance, teaching experience and the quality of their application on paper.
The most important phase of the selection process is the face-to-face interview. We ask all prospective tutors to prepare a segment of a lesson for the subject they’d like to teach and we conduct a role-play interview where their suitability for roles is determined based on their performance in this mock lesson. Other than an exceptional grasp of their subject matter, we are closely assessing tutors on the following criteria:
- Ability to breakdown complex concepts
- Ability to involve student throughout the session
- Ability to instil academic confidence into the student
Only a small handful of tutors meet our very high standards and are taken on. In some cases, we can see that a tutor is talented but needs work before they are good enough to be of Expert Tuition standard, and so, we work with them on a one-to-one basis to elevate their level. This involves in-depth feedback and a detailed one-to-one training seminar to help hone that talent. Those candidates are asked to come back in again for another role-play interview, and we will only take them on once we are absolutely certain that they can deliver to the very high standards that we set and that they fully subscribe to our ethos. In some cases, tutors have gone through six rounds before being accepted onto the system, but we understand that we have a responsibility to our clients to ensure that only the best tutors are on our books and assigned to your child.
How We Train Our Tutors
In our experience, there are universal truths that apply to outstanding tuition and our training programme seeks to instil this within every one of our tutors. The programme, put together by Ahmed Alaskary, is the product of over a decade of personal tutoring experience, as well as academic research into human interaction and behaviour. We believe that an exceptional tutor is not only someone who knows the content inside-out, they are someone who is capable of having such a profound impact on their student that it spills over into every aspect of their lives, both academic and non-academic.
The training explores the importance of involving students throughout sessions, techniques to build up academic confidence and the psychology of tuition. Most of the training is conducted on a one-to-one basis so that we can work around the tutors existing skill set, mould it around their style and ensure that every tutor is of the highest quality.